When it comes to cooking vegetables, the usual methods include steaming, baking, and sautéing. Why not change it up and try grilling instead? Grilling is where the flavor is, creating tender veggies that are naturally sweetened in flavor.
Simplicity is key. This sandwich requires a high quality soft bread or roll with all of your favorite vegetables inside. Athena Farms is happy to provide the best ingredients to help you create the perfect item for your operation.
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon each of fresh basil chives and parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1 medium zucchinisliced lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow squash sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 medium eggplant sliced into rounds
- 1/2 red onion peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded and sliced in half or quarters
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread or other soft bread sliced into 6-inch sections and cut in half
- 1/2 cup arugula leaves
- Balsamic glaze
In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, fresh herbs, garlic clove, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix until smooth. Set aside.
Oil the grill grates with paper towels lightly coated with grapeseed or canola oil. Preheat the grill on medium high for 10-15 minutes.
Drizzle the vegetables with extra virgin olive oil and season with dried oregano and kosher salt and pepper.
Drizzle some additional olive oil on the cut side of the ciabatta.
Place the vegetables on the grill and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Gently flip veggies with a spatula when veggies start to soften and grill marks develop. Cook for another 5 minutes. Toast the cut sides of the ciabatta. Transfer the veggies and ciabatta to a platter.
Spread the herbed ricotta mixture on the cut sides of the bread slices. Top the bottom bread slices with layers of grilled vegetables and arugula then drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
With plant-forward being so popular right now, this sandwich will be a best-seller on any menu. Our product catalog has all of the ingredients that you need to create a masterpiece. Contact us today to learn how we can help you achieve your goals!