No matter what dishes you’re serving this summer, the vegetables you choose are what will make or break the experience for your guests. While summer vegetables are available year round thanks to global farming, nothing satisfies more than fresh, in-season produce.
Let’s look at the best vegetables to use for your summer dishes.
Related: Scrumptious Veggie Appetizers
- Zucchini—Zucchini is the king of summer squashes. It’s ideal for steaming, frying, grilling, sautéing, or stewing.
- Cucumber—Crisp, crunchy, and cool, cucumbers are the perfect summer vegetable. Pair with juicy tomatoes, use as a base for a summer vegetable soup or shave them thin to create Japanese quick pickles.
- Corn—Nothing says summer like sweet corn. From grilled corn-on-the-cob to Cajun corn chowder and fresh-corn polenta, the options are endless.
- Okra—Popular in Indian, West African, and Southern cooking, okra is perfect for thickening sauces, baked as an appetizer, or even as a seasonal Martini garnish.
- Field peas—Summer means fresh field pea season, which is a staple for Southern cooking. From simmering broths to a spicy pea salad, it’s not a summer menu without a few varieties of field peas.
Get the best locally grown summer vegetables and produce for your business—Reach out to Athena Farms today!